Sonček – Cerebral Palsy Association of Slovenia
Who are we?
SONČEK - the Cerebral Palsy Association of Slovenia is a nonprofit, nongovernmental and non-political organization for people with disabilities and their parents. It was established in 1983. The organization incorporates fifteen regional societies for cerebral palsy, the Society for prematurely born children, the Sport Society for cerebral palsy »Žarek« and »Sončkov klub«.
The societies unite over 4.000 children, youth and adults with cerebral palsy and other disabilities, as well as their relatives, professionals and volunteers. As a national organization, Sonček presents the associations common standpoints. It also coordinates negotiations concerning maters of common interest with other organizations of disabled people in the national umbrella organization.
Sonček is a member of the International Cerebral Palsy Society and the European Association of Service providers for People with Disabilities.
Sonček advocates conditions that will ensure equal opportunities for all residents of Slovenia, regardless of their physical or intellectual abilities, for a life of their own vision in accordance with all other inhabitants.
Sonček strives to create a cultural environment that will accept the differences in physical and intellectual abilities without prejudice.
- Create public opinion and culture that will be tolerant towards differences
- Create a legal environment and a system of help that will ensure social inclusion and a decent life for people with reduced mental or physical abilities.
- Giving people with reduced capabilities the opportunity that they themselves or through agents of their own choosing represent their interests
- Organization services that will enable social inclusion
- The systematic increase of free funds
- Establish greater links between the regional societies involved in the Association Sonček
- Promotion of the values and quality standards of the Association Sonček in the countries of South East Europe and European associations
- Service centers in Ljubljana, Maribor, Celje, Kranj, Slovenj Gradec, Koper, Ptuj, Murska Sobota, Novo mesto and Krško
- Holiday and therapy centers in Elerji on the coast and the farm Vrtiče inthe rural countryside.
- Support in group homes for adults with disabilities in Ljubljana, Pragersko, Dravograd, Koper and Štore.
- Training and employment for adults with disabilities in shelteredworkshops and enterprises.
- Transport for children, youth and adults with disabilities across the whole country, with headquarters in service centers.
- Counseling and educational service for children and their parents, youth and adults with disabilities.
- Education, supervision and counseling in schools for teachers and assistants who are responsible for the integration of children with special needs.
- Sensitization for inclusion in kindergartens and schools.
- Rehabilitation, therapy and vacation programmes for children and their parents, youth and adults with disabilities.
- Informational system and publishing activities: a quarterly newsletter called »Sončnik« and leaflets (giving general or specific subject information, brochures etc.), distributed to notice stands in post offices and clinics, a website with relevant information about cerebral palsy.
- Library with books, journals and videos/DVDs.